Established in the year 1973, the Direct Taxes Regional Training Institute, Kolkata is engaged in the task of imparting training to the officials and officers of the Income-tax Department. The Institute conducts in-service training programmes in the form of Special Courses for the training population of officers spread over ten states and one union territory viz. Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura, West Bengal, Sikkim, Odisha and Andaman & Nicobar Islands. Four Ministerial Staff Training Units are functioning under Direct Taxes Regional Training Institute, Kolkata. Two of these units are located at Kolkata itself and one each at Guwahati & Puri. Another MSTU at Shillong will start its functioning shortly.
Presently DTRTI, Kolkata has been shifted to its new premises at 110, Shanti Pally, E. M. Bypass, Kolkata- 700107. The Institute is having eleven floors in this building having the following facilities:
- The building has G+10 storeys.
- Total area of is around 10000 square meters.
- The building is fully air conditioned.
- There would be 4 Lecture Halls- 2 with 55 seats and 2 with 30 seats.
- 2 Computer Labs having 50 seats each.
- 2 Conference Rooms – one having a capacity of 80 seats & the other of 20 seats.
- There would be 2 Canteens having a capacity of 48 seats each. Both would house Industrial Kitchens. There would be a separate 16 seater canteen for the Guest Houses. There will also a Tea Lounge having capacity of 48 seats.
- Library would have a seating capacity of 24 persons and there would also be a separate Reading Lounge and an E-library with seating arrangements for 60 staff.
- 36 Hostel Rooms having a total of 52 beds in all and Guest House having 3 suites and 3 Double Bed Rooms.
- 60 seater Audio-visual lab.
- Recreation facilities consisting of Gym, Billiards, Pool, TT, Carrom, Chess and Music Room.
- There would be other facilities like a Co-operative store, Store rooms, First Aid room, Lounges on each floor, Xerox rooms and Pantries on each floor, Server room, Forensic Lab, Archive and Record rooms.
- All the classrooms, Computer Labs and Conference Rooms would have latest audio and video/ projection systems.
MSTUs are at Kolkata, Puri, Guwahati and Shillong. MSTU Kolkata is presently located at 5th & 6th floor of new building premises of DTRTI, Kolkata. The sanctioned setup consists of one lecture hall and one computer lab each of which can accommodate 20 participants at a time, two faculty rooms and a library.